The Personal Assessment of the College Environment (PACE) is an innovative online tool for your institution to easily assess its progress and highlight areas for growth using an employee survey. The PACE survey helps institutions of higher education define areas needing change or improvement and sets the stage for more in-depth planning. In the PACE model, the leadership of an institution motivates each of these climate factors toward an outcome of student success and institutional effectiveness. Click here to read more about the PACE model and research.
The purpose of the PACE survey is to promote open and constructive communication and to establish priorities for change by obtaining the satisfaction estimate of employees concerning the campus climate. Using a six-point scale, respondents are asked to select their survey response to items divided into four domains: institutional structure, supervisory relationship, teamwork, and student focus.
- The Institutional Structure climate factor focuses on the mission, leadership, spirit of cooperation, structural organization, decision-making, and communication within the institution.
- Supervisory Relationship provides insight into the relationship between an employee and a supervisor and an employee’s ability to be creative and express ideas related to the employee’s work.
- Teamwork explores the spirit of cooperation within work teams and effective coordination within teams.
- The Student Focus climate factor considers the centrality of students to the actions of the institution as well as the extent to which students are prepared for post-institution endeavors.
Together, the unique focus of each climate factor provides a comprehensive picture of campus climate at an institution.
The PACE survey provides a snapshot of how your institution is performing, highlights areas for growth and identifies opportunities for improvement, and provides a starting point for strategic planning.
Key Benefits of PACE
- Quick and easy administration
- Online survey
- Inclusive approach
- Cost effective
- Well-tested, reputable instrument
- Easy to understand summary reports
- Detailed narratives of results
NILIE clients use results from the PACE survey in many ways, including:
- To develop a strategic plan or evaluate the effectiveness of strategic plan implementation
- As a guide to campus climate before, during, or after a structural change in institutional organization or leadership
- To fulfill accreditation requirements
- To measure growth or change in institutional climate and effectiveness over a multi-year period
- To assess the effectiveness of a new college initiative, project, or practice
- As a means to better understand campus issues.